1. Where did you study photography? My interest started in middle school. I studied photography at Hoover High School and then earned my photography degrees at the Ohio Institute of Photography, in Dayton, OH. The learning never stops, thanks to online resources, workshops, and ever changing technology.
2. Did you have photography experience prior to opening Lee Spencer Photography? I started my career as a dark room technician for The Dark Room, in North Canton, OH. I also gained experience as lab technician for Schwabe Studio’s in Dayton, Oh. My first photographer assisting experience was at Industrial Photographers, Canton, Oh. Following this I was the director of Photographic and Video Services for Standards Testing Labs, Trans Tech Division, Massillon, OH. In 1996, I opened Lee Spencer Photography in North Canton, Ohio. That is when the real fun started!
3. What is your favorite subject to photograph? My favorite subject would be anything that creates a challenge. Early in my career, inanimate subjects were at the top of the list. For the past 12 years I have taken a liking to creating compelling portraits of people and their interests.
4. What are your prices? Senior portrait sessions start at $199, with average client investing between 1,000 and 1,500 for print collections. Please call the studio to discuss other projects. No two sessions are the same and we want to give you the best value possible.
If you are interested in a commercial project please contact the studio to discuss the details. We can work up a more accurate estimate once we understand the complexity of the project.
5. Do you release the digital negatives? – Portrait clients – We do offer watermarked digital versions of the images you purchase with some packages for use on social media. We work closely with our vendors to produce the best photographic prints and canvases from each image. By maintaining control of the color correction, retouching, and printing of our images we can ensure that the results meet our highest level of quality standards.
Commercial images are released as high resolution files in any format required. This cost will be included in your project estimate.
6. Do you offer any type of photographic training or classes? I have taught photography in several local continuing education programs. I do not currently have classes scheduled, but I’m always open to suggestions. I love to hear from others interested in this wonderful profession and encourage students, of any age, to engage with us on Facebook , Twitter, or email to “talk shop”!
7. Does your studio sponsor any charities? Each year we host a Picture Party to support Wishes Can Happen at our studio. You can find more about this on our blog. If you have an event or organization looking for a donation please contact the studio with all the details.
8. Are you member of any professional organizations? We are members of the Jackson-Belden Chamber of Commerce, North Canton Chamber of Commerce, Canton Regional Chamber of Commerce and the Hall of Fame Chapter of BNI-Business Networking International. Our business grows because of the relationships we form by networking with other local business leaders and professionals.